Learn everything you need to know about New Zealand Student Visa and get end to end expert guidance from us.
Turn your Study Abroad Dream to Degrees Abroad in New Zealand
New Zealand Student Visa from Nepal
For students aspiring to study in New Zealand and acquire a student visa, it is essential to gain an understanding of the New Zealand Student visa requirements. In particular, Nepalese students should be aware of the New Zealand student visa success rate and the processing time frame that could be expected. Nepalis can submit their visas either through online means or offline, such as visa centres or immigration advisors. Moreover, reviewing the student visa fee structure is important, as this will have a crucial effect on budgeting for studies abroad. With international student enrollment in New Zealand going up by around 50,000 people every year, having an offer from one of the highly regarded universities, there is indispensable when submitting a New Zealand student visa application.
Select a school and a course.
Get a letter of admission
Checks for health and biometrics
Establish an ImmiAccount.
Finish filling out the online application.
Submitting the application fees
Obtain the Visa approval.
Types of New Zealand Student Visas
When it comes to education opportunities, New Zealand offers a variety of student visa options. The following are the most commonly issued categories of student visas:
- Fee-Paying Student Visa (Study Visa): The New Zealand student visa for international students is the most common type of permit to obtain. It permits those accepted into New Zealand educational organisations with specified qualifications to study full-time. To be eligible for such a visa, there must be an offer of enrollment from an approved education provider and adequate funds to cover tuition fees and living expenses.
- Pathway Student Visa: For students with educational ambitions in New Zealand, applying for a Pathway Student Visa is a great option. This visa permits you to pursue consecutive courses with different providers as long as they form part of an approved pathway plan. Therefore, it provides those wanting to study multiple programmes and courses in New Zealand with a viable solution.
- Exchange Student Visa: An Exchange Student Visa is an option for those taking part in an approved student exchange programme between a New Zealand educational institution and their home university. Through this visa, you can study in New Zealand for a certain amount of time while remaining enrolled at the university or college you regularly attend.
Foreign Government-supported Student Visa:
- Pathway Student Visa for English Language Study: In New Zealand, there is the option to apply for a visa that will give you the opportunity to gain knowledge through English language courses. This particular visa allows for up to 12 months of study, providing you with an ideal pathway to further studies.
- Dependent Child Student Visa: Those accompanying a student visa holder's parent or legal guardian to New Zealand may be eligible for a Dependent Child Student Visa. This permit would give you the opportunity to go to primary, intermediate, and secondary schools in the country.
New Zealand Student Visa Requirements
In most cases, a student visa must be obtained in order to study in New Zealand as an overseas student. Depending on your place of citizenship and the length of your desired study, the particular criteria could change. The following criteria must be met to obtain a student visa for New Zealand:
- Admission requirements: In order to be eligible, you must receive confirmation of a position from an educational organisation approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA).
- Payment of tuition fees: You will need to provide evidence that you have paid the tuition fees for your course or demonstrate that you are exempt from doing so.
- Proof of funds: You must show that you have sufficient funds to cover your living expenses while studying in New Zealand. This typically includes evidence of funds for accommodation, food, insurance, and other personal expenses.
- Health and character requirements: You will need to meet certain health and character requirements. This may involve undergoing a medical examination and providing police certificates from your home country.
- Insurance: It is mandatory to have comprehensive medical and travel insurance for the entire duration of your stay in New Zealand.
- English language proficiency: You may need to demonstrate your English language proficiency by providing the results of an approved English language test, such as the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language).
- Genuine intent: You must show that you have a genuine intention to study in New Zealand and that you will leave the country upon the completion of your studies.
- Passport: You will need a valid passport with a minimum validity of three months beyond the end of your intended stay.
Eligibility Requirements for New Zealand Student Visa
People travelling to New Zealand to study may wish to consider the different student visas available, such as the fee-paying student visa, Exchange Student Visa, Foreign government-supported student visa, or Pathway Student Visa. All of these visa types come with their own criteria that must be met in order to make a successful application.
- Acceptance: Students must be accepted for a course at an education institute approved by the Ministry of Education or the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA).
- Tuition Fees: Have sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees or provide evidence of a scholarship that covers your fees.
- Living Expenses: Demonstrate proof of adequate funds to support yourself financially during your stay in New Zealand.
- Course of Study: Enrol in an approved course at the educational institution.
- Health and Character Requirements: Meet the health and character requirements set by the New Zealand Immigration Service.
- Health Insurance: Obtain appropriate medical and travel insurance for the duration of your stay.
- Genuine Intentions: Show genuine intentions to study in New Zealand and return to New Zealand Student Visa Process:
New Zealand Student Visa Fees
Depending on the type of visa you are seeking, the cost of a New Zealand student visa varies. The fee-paying student visa, for instance, is NZD 375. An online application for a student visa costs $53 in New Zealand dollars.
Please be aware that costs are subject to change and may differ based on your current location and the nation in which you were born. To find out how much your visa application will cost, visit Immigration New Zealand's Fees, Decision Times, and Where to Apply tool.
How to Apply for a New Zealand Student Visa?
- Apply Method: Apply for a student visa in New Zealand either online or using a printed form.
- Timely Application: Submit your application at least eight weeks before your intended arrival in New Zealand.
- Pre-Application Preparation: Before starting your application, choose your course, ensure sufficient funds, gather necessary documents, etc.
- Online Application: If applying online, scan your documents before uploading them.
- RealMe Account: Set up a New Zealand Government RealMe account when making an online application.
- Document Preparation: Have all your supporting documents ready to upload before starting your online application.
- Printed Form: You can also apply using a printed form, but it takes longer to process. Use this method if you lack regular computer access or prefer a physical application.
Before You Apply
- Research and choose an approved educational institution and course of study in New Zealand.
- Meet the admission requirements of the chosen institution and receive an offer of acceptance.
- Ensure you have sufficient funds to cover tuition fees and living expenses.
- Obtain any necessary supporting documents, such as proof of funds, health insurance, and English language proficiency.
Documents required for a New Zealand student visa:
- Valid passport.
- Offer of acceptance from an approved New Zealand educational institution.
- Proof of funds to cover tuition fees and living expenses.
- Health and travel insurance.
- Character certificates.
- English language proficiency test results.
- Any additional documents required by the specific visa category or individual circumstances.
After You Apply
- Pay the application fee.
- Attend any required interviews or provide biometric information if requested.
- Wait for the processing of your visa application by Immigration New Zealand.
- Provide any additional information or documents as requested by the immigration authorities.
- Monitor the progress of your application through the online tracking system.
- If your visa application is approved, you will receive a student visa.
- Review the visa details to ensure accuracy.
- Understand the conditions and duration of your visa.
- Make any necessary travel arrangements to New Zealand.
- If your visa application is declined, you may have the option to appeal the decision or reapply, depending on the circumstances. Seek guidance from an immigration advisor if needed.
New Zealand Student Visa Processing Time
Post-study Work Opportunities in New Zealand
Recent graduates from universities in New Zealand may apply for a post-study work visa. Those who have been given approval can stay and work in the country for up to three years, depending on their qualifications.
Individuals with a degree level of 7 or above don't require restrictions on their employment opportunities. However, those with non-degree levels seven or lower must seek jobs related to what they studied and feature on the Qualifications Eligible for a Post-Study Work Visa list.
Frequently asked questions
In order for a Nepalese citizen to obtain a New Zealand student visa, there are some key steps that can be followed. Firstly, look into accredited educational institutions in New Zealand and choose the right course of study. Secondly, meet all criteria and necessary prerequisites for the visa as specified by New Zealand immigration authorities. This includes having up-to-date passports, an acceptance letter from the chosen institution, financial evidence, health insurance, and other proof of good character. Thirdly, complete the application using either an online or printed format while paying the accompanying fee. Lastly, track progress via an online tracking system until completion is successful.
In order to obtain a student visa in New Zealand, there are certain requirements that must be met. Firstly, acceptance into an approved educational institute is essential. Additionally, applicants must provide evidence of having sufficient funds for both tuition fees and living costs while studying abroad. Furthermore, they must show proof of appropriate health and travel insurance as well as character certificates. Certain levels of English language proficiency may also be asked for, depending on individual circumstances.
There is no specific age limit for a New Zealand student visa. However, if you are under 18 years old, you may need a written guarantee of suitable accommodation in New Zealand.
The cost of a New Zealand student visa can vary depending on factors such as the type of course, duration of stay, and country of citizenship. It is recommended to check the official website of Immigration New Zealand or consult with a licenced immigration advisor for the current visa application fees.
The difficulty of obtaining a New Zealand student visa can vary depending on individual circumstances and how well the applicant meets the eligibility criteria. It is important to carefully follow the application process, provide all required documents, and meet the financial and health requirements.