What Students Read

Answers to your Any and Every Study Abroad Queries, All in One Space!

Read on to get your latest updates on Universities, Courses Offered, Student Visa Updates, and lots more!
5 minutes reading time (1008 words)

Pathway to Study and Work in Canada as an International Student


Preparing for the future is an exciting process! It may involve a tonne of research, evaluation, and even facing unexpected challenges which you would have never dreamt about before.

Similarly, while choosing a study destination for pursuing your higher studies, you must look into the country's education system, quality of life, and most importantly the provisions offered by the government to study and work during your course tenure.

What if we said Canada is one such study destination that offers everything all at once? Yes! Of course, you heard that right!

Every year over 200,000 Nepalese Students choose to study in Canada, and the country ranks 1 in the world for a better quality of life. What's better? The Canadian Government also offers multiple study and work opportunities for international students to broaden their horizons.

We have listed below the study and work options in Canada you need to know that will help you plan better. Go on and give it a read! 

Ways to Work while studying in Canada:

Off-Campus Work

International students enrolling in a full-time course in either an academic, professional training program or a vocational course (at a Designated Learning Institute leading to a degree certificate or diploma with a valid study permit), are eligible to work off-campus anywhere in Canada without a work permit. This ideally means that you can work for an employer of your choice in occupations that are not related to your programs.

It is also vital to show adequate financial resources while you are applying for a study permit. This means you have to show proof of funding to support yourself financially during your study period.

While studying in Canada, you can:

  • Work off-campus for 20 hours/ week during course duration and full time during holidays and scheduled breaks (including spring, winter, and summer breaks).
  • Work full time if you have completed your course and are waiting for your post-graduation work permit (within 90 days of course completion).





Entertainment Activities Coordinator

15 CAD/hour


Reading Programme Leader

14 CAD/hour


Camp Counsellor

12 CAD/hour


Festival Coordinator

10 CAD/hour


Human Resources Assistant

13 CAD/hour


Office Assistant

13 to 15 CAD/hour


Sales Assistant

12 CAD/hour


Customer Service Assistant

11 CAD/hour


Educational Interpreter

13 CAD/hour



25 CAD/hour

On-Campus Work 

International students can work on-campus as soon as their study program commences in Canada. To start working in Canada, international students' study permit must be entitled to work for an on-campus job.

International students can work on-campus without a work permit if:

  • A student is enrolled full-time at a university/college/public post-secondary school.
  • A student is pursuing a course at a private college in Quebec that follows the same norms as public institutions, with government grants fund over 50%.
  • A student is studying at a private university that can award degrees to students across the world under Canadian Provincial Law.
  • A student has a valid study permit & a SIN (Social Insurance Number).

What is SIN and how to avail it?

A 'SIN' is a unique 9 digit number offered by the Government of Canada to international students wanting to work during their course tenure.

The advantage of having the SIN number is not restricted to work on-campus but will also help in availing all Government services and benefits that are available to the Canadian Students. All international students can apply for this SIN Number as soon as they step into Canada by either offline method or online methods.

To apply by either of the methods, the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) mandates the proof of students' passport and a study permit. International students studying across the different universities can get guidance from their faculties to apply for a SIN Number. This way they can pro-actively opt for an on-campus job that best fits them. 

Points to consider while working as an international student on-campus:

  • If an international student's status changes from full-time to part-time, he/she must stop working on-campus, apparently. Despite having a part-time registration status, students can continue working on-campus during their final term of study.
  • If you work as a research or teaching assistant on-campus, you can work at any of the research facilities associated with your education institution.
  • English Language Learners (ELL or ESL) and visiting students can also work on-campus if they are registered full-time and hold a valid study permit in Canada. Most on-campus jobs pay between $8.40 and $9.50/hour to international students, and on an average 1,500 CAD for an academic year. 

Co-operative Education

Co-op courses involve work experience (paid) as a part of the academic program. International students opting for a co-op course will typically have their courses scheduled for a four months on-room class format and for another four-months they can work as a full-time employee in an organisation.

Co-op courses are an excellent pathway to gain relevant experience, explore careers, and earn money while pursuing your higher studies. As an international student, you can equip yourself by applying your skills to real-life problems, prepare for interviews successfully and also graduate in 4 years with strong full-time work experience.


January to April

May to August

September to December


Study term

Study term



Study term

Work term

Study term


Work term

Study term

Work term


Study term

Work term

Study term

Eligibility Criteria to apply for a co-op work permit

International students are eligible to apply for the co-op work permit if they meet the following requirements:

  • Must hold a valid study permit.
  • Should have enrolled in a Designated Learning Institute.
  • Must receive a letter from the educational institution, confirming that they require the work permit for the respective study program.

The options to study and work in Canada are more than what you have been thinking about before!

To know more about studying and working in Canada, fill in our inquiry form. Our expert counsellors will get in touch with you to clarify all your queries about studying in Canada, this fall!

Related Posts

Copyright © 2024 aecc. Useful Links | Glossary | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
AECC SearchMeet us OnlineChat with Us