Owing to the country’s academic excellence and dual-language system, Canada continually attracts a stellar volume of international students across various parts of the globe.
International students wanting to pursue a professional or vocational course in Canada at a DLI (Designated Learning Institute), will require a study permit before flying to Canada. A study permit is a written document issued by the CIC (Citizen and Immigration) that permits international students to study and stay in Canada.
To know about the documents required, eligibility, student visa cost, and the new 2-step temporary visa process read on!
Eligibility to apply for a Canada Student Visa and a study permit:
You will require an acceptance letter from a Canadian Education Institution (DLI) containing information including:
- Letterhead of the institutions.
- The program for which you have enrolled.
- The exact amount of tuition fees.
- The commencing and end dates of the course.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age to apply for a primary student visa.
- As a part of applying for a study visa permit, all international students are required to submit a criminal history record (court document.
- You must duly sign and fill the consent form of Visa Application Center (VAC).
- You will also have to submit the photocopies of your immigration status in any other countries or Canada.
- You should submit a proof of statement with reasons for applying the study permit such as to pursue higher studies, work post-graduation and the other relevant reasons.
Documents required for processing Canada Student Visa for international students
1. Proof of Funds
When you process your student visa application, you must attach proof of funds (tuition fees and living expenses) as suggested by the Canadian Immigration. Typically, the immigration demands proof of at least 10,000 CAD for each academic year of your course tenure. For studying in Quebec, you need to show proof of a minimum 11,000 CAD every year.
2. IME - Immigration Medical Examination
Canadian Immigration demands international students to undergo an Immigration Medical Examination a week before their student visa application process. This one-week duration is required by the doctor/physician to examine and upload all the mandatory documents in the Citizen of Immigration database.
Upon performing an end-to-end medical examination, your physician may refer you for laboratory tests and chest x-rays. On successful completion of all the processes recommended by your physician, he/she will send the results to the CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada).
3. English Language Requirement Test
- The minimum undergraduate score required for the TOEFL (iBT) test is 79.
- The average IELTS score required to study at a Canadian University is 6.5, with each component (Listening, Reading and Writing) not less than 6.0.
4. Statement of purpose
Canada is one of the very few countries that demand SOP during student visa processing. When you apply for a Canadian Study Permit from your home country, you would be asked to write an essay stating the purpose behind your travel to Canada and the reason for opting a particular course at an institution.
Related Article: SOP for Canada Universities.
5. Passport Size Photographs
In order to submit your student visa application online, you must attach a digital photograph (not older than 6 months) in size, and not over 4 MB. In case you opt for an offline visa application process, you will need 2 passport-sized photographs of sizes at least 35 mm x 45 mm.
Canada Student Visa - Fee
- A Canadian study permit costs 150 CAD, which is equivalent to 13,520 Nepal Rupee.
- Canadian Visa Application can be processed through both offline and online methods. For the online mode, the student visa processing fee can be paid through credit card. As for the offline mode, the payment can be made through a demand draft.
- After submitting your visa application, you should pay an additional biometric fee of 85 Canadian Dollars.
|For a family of 2 applicants||170|
Related Article: Know more about Student Visa for Canada
How long is the Canada Student Visa valid?
A Canadian Student Visa is typically valid for 3 years or 4 years depending upon the span of your course, with an additional 3-month extension.
The additional 90 days are a benefit for international students to prepare for returning to their home country or apply for extending the Canada Student Visa for academic reasons. For instance, if you don’t complete the course within the stipulated time, then you will need to extend your student visa.
On the other hand, if you have completed your program on time and need additional days to prepare for leaving Canada then you should provide proof of graduation notification from your respective institution such as a letter, an email, or a photocopy of your certificate. The date issued in the certificate will be considered as the date of completion by the CIC to extend your 90 days period.
A New two-step process for international students to study in Canada - fall 2020
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, international students facing difficulties to gather mandatory documents to apply for the Canadian study permit.
Hence, the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) has introduced a new two-step visa approval process to help international students begin their course online without availing a study permit. If you would like to begin a program this fall, make sure to use this opportunity to apply for a temporary student visa on or before September 15.
A New 3-year PGWP Rule for international students
IRCC with its new PGWP rules is now allowing international students to apply for a work permit despite having to take online courses from their home country.
International students can enrol in an online course at a Designated Learning Institute this fall (2020) and finish up to 50% of their course in their home country, and still be eligible to obtain the Post Graduate Work Permit to work in Canada after finishing their course.
Looking to enrol at a Canadian Institution this fall? Well then, go ahead and fill in our inquiry form! Our expert counsellors will get in touch with you to help you pursue your favourite course online.