AECC Global Nepal

Types of UK Work Visas for Nepalese Students and Skilled Workers


Working in the UK is a dream for many Nepalese citizens. While some pursue their higher education in the UK and land a job, others gain expertise in their skills whilst looking for opportunities to broaden their career prospects in the UK. In order to work in the UK, the government mandates to apply for a valid UK work visa to stay, work and live in the UK for a given period of time.

If you are a student aspiring to study and take up a job in the UK or a professional aspiring to work in the UK, this blog will aid you in understanding the different types of work visas and choosing the apt one for you!

Two Major Types of Work Visas in the UK for Nepalese

1. Long-term work visas
2. Short-term work visas

What are long-term work visas in the UK?

All long-term work visas fall under the Tier 2 visa category. Candidates applying for long-term work visas must have gained sponsorship from an employer in the UK whilst approved by the immigration office. The different types of Tier 2 work visas are:

  • Health and Care Worker visa
  • Intra-company visas
  • International Sportsperson visa
  • Skilled Worker visa

Intra-company work-visa

The Intra-Company visa is also known as a transfer visa. When MNCs send their employees to the UK branch to perform a skilled role, they are required to sponsor the intra-company work visa to their employees. In order to be eligible for applying for this visa, the employee must have worked for the respective employer/organisation for a minimum of 12 months.

Health and Care Worker visa

Qualified-cum-trained nurses, doctors and other allied healthcare professionals from other countries can apply for work visas through the health and care worker visa category. Dependent children and partners of the applicant can travel and stay in the UK until the work visa tenure.

International Sportsperson Visa

The International Sportsperson visa is applicable for qualified sports coaches and elite sportspersons who have achieved immensely in their home country and received accolades internationally. To be eligible to apply for this visa, candidates must have attained sponsorship from recognised sports governing bodies in the UK on a short-term or long-term contract.

Skilled Worker Visa

All nationalities with a valid offer from an employer in the UK can apply for the Skilled Worker Visa. Dependent children and partners of applicants can stay in the UK until the duration of the work visa.

Documents required to apply a skilled work visa:

  • The certificate of sponsorship reference number provided by your employer in the UK.
  • Proof of English knowledge
  • A valid passport with nationality and identity.
  • Annual salary and job title
  • Occupation code
  • The employer's name and licence number (attached on your certificate of sponsorship)

How much does it cost to apply for a skilled visa?

Types of Fee for Skilled Work Visa


Standard application fee

610 to 1,408

Healthcare surcharge

624 per year

Proof of money in bank account


The UK Government has framed the points-based immigration system to ensure international citizens visiting to work in the UK meet a set of requirements. In order to be eligible to apply for a long-term visa, international students must have gotten 70 immigration points. The detailed point-based scoring system is tabulated below:



Job offer letter by the approved sponsor


Job at appropriate skill level


Speaks English at the required level


Salary of £20,480 to £23,039


Salary of £23,040 to £25,599


Salary of £25,600 or above


Job in a shortage occupation as designated by the Migration Advisory Committee


Education qualification: PhD in a subject relevant to the job


Education qualification: PhD in a STEM subject relevant to the job


What are short-term work visas in the UK?

Unlike long-term work visas, short-term visas are used as an entry requirement for international citizens visiting the united kingdom temporarily. All short-term work visas fall under the Tier 5 category and are valid for a period of one to two years. The following is the list of primary short-term visa categories in the UK.

  • Charity Worker visa
  • Creative Worker visa
  • Graduate visa

Charity Work Visa

This unique work visa lets international citizens undertake voluntary charity work in the UK for a year. In order to be eligible for a Charity Work Visa, the work done shall not be remunerated unless for any reasonable expenses to perform the duties provided by your sponsor.

Creator Work Visa

Candidates with profound creative skills can apply through the creator work visa to stay and work in the UK. According to the UK's immigration policy, candidates who contribute to any of the UK's creative professions (dancer, musician, entertainer, fashion model or film crew) can apply for the Creator Work Visa. All applicants can extend their visa duration for up to 24 months while working for the same employer. 

Graduate Visa

International students can apply for a graduate visa to stay in the UK for 2 years upon completing their higher education in the UK.

Eligibility criteria to apply for a Graduate Visa: 

  • International student studying in the UK.
  • The current visa of an international student must be a Tier 4 student visa.
  • Studied bachelor's, postgraduate or other eligible courses in the UK with a valid student visa.
  • The university/institution's graduation document states the international student has completed the course.

List of eligible courses to apply for a Graduate Visa:

  • All law conversion courses (recognised by the Solicitors Regulation Authority in the UK).
  • The Solicitors Course in Northern Ireland, the Legal Practice Course in Wales and England, or a Diploma in Professional Legal Practice in Scotland.
  • A Bar Practice Course in Wales and England, or a Bar Course in Northern Ireland
  • Any foundation programs in dentistry or medicine
  • A Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
  • A Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE)

What is the cost of applying for a Graduate Visa?

International students need to:

  • pay the application fee of £700
  • pay the healthcare surcharge of £624 for each year of stay in the UK

List of documents required to apply:

  • A valid passport with the students' nationality and identity
  • Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
  • The Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number
  • proof of your relationship with children or partner (if they're applying with you)
  • A letter from your sponsorship or scholarship provider, if they had paid for your living costs or course fees in the last 1 year of your stay in the UK.

We hope you got sufficient information about a wide variety of visas for international students and citizens to work in the UK. To know more about studying in the UK, choosing the apt courses, visa and university, contact us today! Our expert education counsellors will help you in studying and working in the UK.

Related Posts

Speak to UsCourse SearchAECC StudentCall Us