Blogs on ‘Study in USA’

Eligibility Requirements to Study in the USA

6 min read
Blog Summary Discover the essential eligibility requirements for studying in the USA with our comprehensive guide. Learn about necessary TOEFL scores, admission criteria, various student visa types, and the importance of a well-crafted Statement of Purpose (SOP). Our blog provides detailed insights into the prerequisites for Nepalese students aspiring to study in American universities, including standardized test requirements, financial proof, and visa documentation. Stay informed and prepare effectively for your educational journey to the USA.

Are you planning to study abroad? Thinking about universities in the US? Well then, go on and keep reading! 

It is an exciting decision to pursue higher education in one of the best international students’ hubs in the world. Being a provider of quality education, world-class digital facilities, vast research resources, and numerous courses, the US houses over 3,000 colleges and universities, and helps you achieve all your study abroad aspirations.

But, before choosing a course, you should be aware of the requirements to study in the US and crosscheck whether you are eligible to pursue your higher education in the country. The government and the educational institutions have stringent rules/eligibility requirements for any international student entering into the US for higher studies. 

Hence, we have compiled a list of requirements that is to be looked into before you enrol in your favourite study destination.

Eligibility Requirements

English Language Tests:

The English language test score (TOEFL or IELTS) is considered as a basic qualification in all the top study abroad destinations, and the US follows this rule strictly. 

For TOEFL, international students have to secure a minimum score of 78. Even if a student has qualified in any of the tests like TOEFL/IELTS, in some universities or colleges, students are again asked to take up a separate English test as a part of their admission process.

Statement of Purpose (SOP):

All universities in the US ask international students to write an SOP as a part of their application process. 
So, What is an SOP, and how can you write one?

An SOP is a statement of Purpose and is written like an essay. As the name suggests, an SOP explains the purpose of studying in the US, the reason for choosing the university, the reason for electing the particular course and not preferring related courses (if available). In addition to this, an SOP is a first and primary communication between the university and students. So, the university assesses international students’ ability, skills, and aspirations with an SOP.

Admission requirements

To pursue an undergraduate course, universities and colleges might ask international students to take up SAT Tests.

For securing a graduate course admission, international students should take up any one of the tests such as:

Based on the university requirements, students could be asked to take up either one or a couple of the above-mentioned tests.

For securing admission in creative courses like Fine Arts, international students must pass the TOEFL. Alongside, the university authorities will ask for an innovative sample to assess your talent.

  • Student Visa Documents Checklist:

For pursuing a masters degree, the Bachelor’s Degree Certificate should be attested by the university’s Examination Controller/ Principle.

Recommendation letters are mandatory for Study Visa Document. For a bachelors degree application, a minimum of 3 recommendation letters is mandatory. Meanwhile, for a masters degree, 2 recommendation letters are sufficient.

  • Proof of Fund:

As a part of the student visa process, international students are asked to provide evidentiary proof stating that they can pay their course fees and manage their living expenses until they stay in the US.

Some universities ask this PoF before their admission offer, and a few others ask for this document soon after sending the admission offer.

Documents accepted for Proof of Fund are:

  • Bank Account Statements
  • Loan Approval/ Disbursement Letter
  • Scholarship Letters
  • Affidavit of Support/ Sponsorship
  • Bank Letters
  • Loan Capability Certificate
  • Property Evaluation Report

Types of USA Student Visa

  • F1 Student Visa:

International students applying for any course in the US that requires over 18 hours of study in a week need an F1 Student Visa.

All the undergraduate courses and postgraduate courses in the USA, including MBA fall under this category. 

Documents required for acquiring the student visa:

  • Personal information (passport, photos etc)
  • Educational documents (academic transcripts, English test scores etc)
  • Work-related documents (joining letter, relieving letter and salary slips of six months)
  • Financial documents (saving bank account statement, tax returns etc)
  • J1 Exchange Visitor Visa:

The J1 visa is required for working professionals who wish to travel to the US on an exchange program. So the visa is named as an “Exchange Visitor Visa”. Through this visa, working professionals can apply for a ten-month vocational training course or fellowship. The educational institutions will notify the student to apply for their visas under the J1 category. Children or Spouses travelling along with J-1 Visa recipients will have to apply for a J-2 Visa.

  • M-1 Vocational or Non-Academic Student Visa

The M1 student visa is reserved for vocational and technical educational institutions. Though the process for applying to the M-1 and F1 visa is similar, the difference is that the M1 visas have stringent timing rules as students cannot overstay their visit.

We’re here to help you achieve your study abroad aspirations.

To know more details about studying in the US, fill in the enquiry form. Our expert counselors will contact you and provide you with the information to make your study abroad dreams come true.

Frequently Asked Questions

What English language tests are required to study in the USA, and what are the minimum scores?
The TOEFL or IELTS tests are typically required. For TOEFL, a minimum score of 78 is needed. Some universities may also require a separate English test as part of the admission process.
What standardized tests might I need to take for undergraduate or graduate courses in the USA?
For undergraduate courses, the SAT may be required. For graduate courses, you might need to take the GMAT, GRE-General Test, or GRE-Subject Test. Specific fields like Medicine, Pharmacy, Dental, Veterinary, and Law have their respective tests like MCAT, PCAT, DAT, VCAT, and LSAT.
What types of student visas are available for studying in the USA?
There are three main types: F1 Student Visa for full-time study, J1 Exchange Visitor Visa for exchange programs, and M-1 Vocational or Non-Academic Student Visa for vocational and technical education.
What documents are needed to provide proof of funds for a student visa?
Proof of funds can be shown through Bank Account Statements, Loan Approval/Disbursement Letters, Scholarship Letters, Affidavit of Support/Sponsorship, Bank Letters, Loan Capability Certificates, or Property Evaluation Reports.
What is an SOP, and why is it required for studying in the USA?
An SOP, or Statement of Purpose, is an essay explaining the purpose of studying in the USA, the reason for choosing the university and course, and other related aspects. It helps the university assess the student's ability, skills, and aspirations and is a primary communication between the university and the student.

Let's get social.

Copyright © 2024 aecc. Useful Links | Glossary | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
AECC SearchMeet us OnlineChat with Us