Blogs on ‘Student Visa’

Visa Requirements to Study in USA and the UK

3 min read
Blog Summary A thorough guide on the visa application processes for the USA and the UK, detailing documentation, interview tips, and potential challenges to be aware of.

Home to over a million international students, the USA and UK, are the two sought after study destinations for Nepalese students year after year. As multicultural countries, the USA and UK open doors for knowledge exchange, innovation and create endless career opportunities for international students.

Every year the USA and the UK offer over 300,000 student visas to students across the world. If you are a student aspiring to study abroad, then here are the documents required for US student visa and UK student visa. Read on!

Documents Required for USA Student Visa:

Student visas in the USA fall under two broad categories: F visa and M visa. F visa is for academic studies, and M visa is for vocational and non-academic studies. As soon as you register for a student and exchange visitor program, you are all set to apply for the student visa (F or M visa).

USA Student Visa Eligibility:

  • Acceptance letter from a US school or university (certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program - SEVP).
  • Must be proficient in English
  • Must have strong financial support

Primary Documents Required for USA Student Visa:

  • A valid passport.
  • Confirmation proof of the non-immigration visa application.
  • Acceptance at a SEVP approved university and Form I-20.
  • Receipt of application fee payment.
  • A passport-sized photo.
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrants (F-1) and (M-1).
  • Grade certificates from schools.
  • Test Scores of English language tests as required by US institutions.
  • Proof of financial support (at least $80,000 for a 2-year master course )
  • Evidence of departing from the US upon the completion of the course of study

Also Read: Know more about USA Student Visa

Documents Required for UK Student Visa:

International students above the age of 16 wishing to pursue their studies in the UK are eligible to apply for a student visa. To apply for a student visa in the UK, you need a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) - (i.e.) an admission confirmation document issued by the college or university. Note that this CAS document is valid for only six months from the date of issuing. 
The UK student visa helps you in pursuing the below mentioned courses:

  • A full-time course leads to a qualification below degree level
    (RQF level 3, 4 or 5).
  • A full-time course leads to a degree level qualification or above
    (RQF level 6, 7 or 8).
  • A part-time course leads to a qualification above degree level
    (RQF level 7 or above).
  • A recognised foundation programme for postgraduate doctors or dentists
  • An English language course at level B2 or above in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages

Uk Student Visa Eligibility:

  • Must be 16 years and above
  • Admission letter from the institution or university
  • Proof of financial support
  • Must speak, read, and write English
  • Consent from parents

Primary Documents Checklist to apply for a UK Student Visa:

  • A valid passport
  • Evidence of financial support £1,334 per month (for up to 9 months) in London and £1,023 per month (for up to 9 months) for courses in other cities of the UK.
  • A valid ATAS certificate (based on nationality and course).
  • Tuberculosis test result
  • International students applying to study in the UK with sponsorship must submit a written consent letter from the respective sponsor.
  • Students below 18 years of age need to submit written consent from their parents or legal guardians (or one parent if they have sole responsibility).

This letter must include their consent for:

  1. Visa application
  2.  Living and care arrangements in the UK
  3.  Travel to the UK
  4. Need to provide a copy of your birth certificate (or another government-issued document) that shows your parents’ names.

Do you want to get more clarity on student visas?
Just fill in the inquiry form! Our expert counsellors will get in touch with you and help you apply for a study visa without a hassle.

Do you want to meet our counselors online? Book an appointment to talk with our counsellors from the comfort of your home.


Frequently Asked Questions

What are the primary visa requirements for studying in the USA?
International students typically need an F-1 visa, which requires a valid I-20 form from a SEVP-approved institution, proof of financial ability, and successful completion of a visa interview.
How do visa requirements differ for the UK?
For the UK, students need a Tier 4 (General) student visa, which requires a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from a licensed institution, proof of English proficiency, and evidence of financial support.
Are there post-study work visa options in both countries?
Yes, the USA offers Optional Practical Training (OPT), while the UK reintroduced the Post-Study Work Visa (Graduate Route) for international students.
How early should students apply for their visas before their course starts?
It's advisable to start the visa application process at least 3-4 months before the course commencement date.

Let's get social.

Copyright © 2024 aecc. Useful Links | Glossary | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
AECC SearchMeet us OnlineChat with Us